Thursday, March 23, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.1.2 - Bhanar


Umo didn’t continue, but just stood there. The creek gurgled off to my left.

“Who did? Who shot at the helicopter?”

The tall, dark-haired agent shook his head slowly, his gaze still averted. “I’m. . .” He didn’t know. “I’m sorry, Your Royal Majesty, but––”

“Let’s go get Zhudıro.” Lango shouldered past me. “Before it gets completely dark out here.” He started past Umo but the taller man grabbed his arm. Lango tried to throw Umo’s hand loose, but he held tight, turning the greasy agent around to face me. Lango glared at me as he failed to free himself again.

“I’m sorry, Your Royal Majesty, but it was Lango.”

“No!” Lango hit Umo’s arm and spun.

Umo grabbed him with both hands, holding tight. Lango kept struggling, but the bigger man held tighter.

Lango? But why would a federal agent want to shoot down a sheriff’s helicopter? Turf war?

Lango slipped free almost and Umo tackled him, both landing on their knees. “Let go!” “Drop it, shithead!” Only then did I see that Lango had his gun in his hand, Umo gripping his wrist. What the hell was going on? I pulled my gun from my shorts, but didn’t point it.

The two men wrestled in a stalemate, still fighting but hardly moving. Partners trying to kill each other.

No comments: