Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.2.4 - Irézí


I sprinted the last few steps to the crest of the rise and looked down upon the wreckage, gasping for air. Nıléké ran up beside me, his camera pointing forwards.

I turned on my microphone. “Míro, can you hear me? It crashed. The helicopter crashed.”

“Say again?” Míro’s voice was staticky in my earpiece.

I took a deep breath, gathering my composure. “The sheriff’s helicopter just crashed at the gully.” A thick row of trees stood behind the smoking scene. I had to assume we were on the air, or at least recording. “Several people are in the vicinity. Most are on the ground. I can only assume they’re injured or dead.”

I started hurrying down the trail, but slow enough I didn’t breathe hard anymore. Nıléké followed me. Into my microphone, I continued, “One of the moving ones looks like a sheriff’s deputy. He––she is heading towards the downed helicopter, which is lying on its side, twisted and mangled, surrounded by singed shrubs. Pieces of the helicopter lay scattered around the crash site, in and among the brush and rocks. The cab is still together, so it’s possible the pilot and passengers survived.” I turned on smile seven and looked at the camera with a gleam in my eye. “Let’s go find out.” I started jogging toward the downed craft.

I really hoped the policemen survived––for their sakes––but mangled bodies would get better ratings, that was for sure.

It looked like I had my story.

No comments: