Friday, March 10, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.3.4 - Fírí


I tried the cardoor, but it was locked. I could see the toggle was down on the driver’s door, too. No chance of calling off the search warrant.

I had to hide the guns. I glanced over at the Channel Six guy, but he was halfway back to his van. Good. I didn’t want to have to explain anything.

I set my left shoe and sock atop the police car and limped across the gravel to the garage. Six large cardboard boxes stacked against the wall. The long ones had the automatic rifles. The square ones had ammo and handguns and explosives. Or were those the ones with the drugs and gardening supplies? No point in checking. I’d have to retape them. And it was illegal either way.

But what to do with them?

I turned around, searching. No point moving them elsewhere in the garage. Out back in the animal yard? No, they’d search there, too. I continued to slowly spin and my eyes settled on Bhanar’s pickup. Perfect. Boxes filled the back. A few more wouldn’t make a difference. And the cops couldn’t search it because it wasn’t the Kılímos’.

I grabbed the top box––one of the smaller ones, but at least thirty kilograms. Ammunition. Had to be. I lurched back a step, balancing awkwardly. How the hell had I moved these so quickly before? Crazy adrenaline rush, I guess.

I turned and hobbled toward the truck. My arms were dying. I couldn’t see where I placed my feet. Pain shot up from my bare heel.

No comments: