Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.1.6 - Bhanar


“What do you mean, ‘ours’?”

The thumping blades of the helicopter grew quickly louder, but we still couldn’t see it through the trees.

Séara looked at me with her gorgeous brown eyes ringed with dark lashes. “The sheriff’s department. At least it sounds like it.” She sighed deep––a happy sigh.

I nodded and listened. Good. The sheriff can take away Zhíno to jail. They can carry Pí‘oro’s body to the morgue or wherever. And they can get me far away from this crazy town and that crazy royalist.

But it would also take me away from Séara. The beautiful, strong, sexy, Séara.

The helicopter burst into view over the trees almost directly overhead, deafening us and whipping sand everywhere. I put my hand over my eyes, against the sand, but tried vainly to see. By sound more than anything, I watched the helicopter circle us. Police markings displayed boldly on its sides.

A gunshot sounded over the din. They were shooting at us! I dropped to the ground, pulled out my gun. Why were they shooting at us? I looked around for Séara, but the flying sand forced my eyes back shut. Another gunshot. The helicopter sound changed. I coughed and sucked in even more dust and sand. The helicopter engine whined painfully. I tucked my face down, curled up in a ball, trying to find clear air to breathe. My eyes stung all over, my lungs filled with dust. I hacked and coughed against my knees and bare chest. The thumping blades stopped suddenly in a thunderous explosion.

No comments: