Thursday, March 23, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.1.1 - Fírí


With the last of my strength, I chucked the final box into the back of the pickup. It landed tilted on top of other boxes which crushed slightly. My knees gave out and I dropped to the gravel. I landed hard on my butt and sat there, hunched over, waiting for my body to recover. My arms hung limply in my lap.

But I did it. The evidence was out of the house. I wasn’t going to prison.

My stomach growled.

When had I last eaten? Breakfast. Which was at noon, but still. Hashbrowns and orange juice. Ages ago. It was no wonder I was out of energy. I’d only eaten three hundred calories all day.
My stomach growled again.

“Okay, okay. I’m going.” I grabbed the truck’s back bumper and pulled and pushed my weary body upright. With a sigh and wobbly legs, I entered the dark garage and headed for the back corner where I remembered the kitchen door.

My eyes adjusted to the dark and I spotted the steps before I kicked them. The garage door automatic closer button glowed red at me. I pushed it. Very loud clanking and whirring lowered the door, turning the garage from dim to black. I fumbled for the doorknob, caught it, turned it, and pushed open the door.

The green kitchen, the bloody linoleum, the bloody bit of pants leg on the wood table. The fridge.

No comments: