Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 7.2.2 - Fírí


“Do you want to come in? I’m sorry I haven’t seen your friends, but the least I can do is offer you something to drink.” Something of the Kılímos’, of course. Hell, these guys could ransack the place and steal the hag’s jewels for all I cared.

The lighter-haired one nodded. “That’s very kind of you, ma’am.” He came towards me and I stepped aside to let him in.

So many “ma’ams” in one day. I must look like shit.

The darker-haired one adjusted his flannel shirt and followed his friend.

As I closed the door, I asked, “If you’re not cops, what line of work are you in?”

They both looked everywhere in the room except at me. “We’re businessmen.”

Dressed like that? If they were businessmen, Zhíno was a CEO. Jeans and tshirts just weren’t office wear.

“Please, have a seat.” I gestured to the sofa and chairs before noticing that the sofa still had sheets and a blanket on it. Bhanar’s duffel bag lay unzipped on the coffee table, tighty-whiteys clearly visible.

The two men headed for the armchairs.

I limped into the kitchen. “What type of business?”

“Importing and distribution. How about yourself?”

I opened the fridge and grabbed two cans of beer. Importing sounded entirely too vague. I grabbed my orange juice on the way back to the living room.

Someone knocked on the front door.

No comments: