Monday, March 20, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.6.1 - Vata


I walked across the soft soil, back towards the secret door, bloody bucket in my hand. Forever. This was taking forever. I’d grow old and die before I finished this.

Heh. I already was old.

I pushed open the big stucco door and shuffled down the dirt corridor. Flaming braziers lit my way. We had no electric light in the chapel. It wouldn’t be right. It would dishonor Névazhíno.

Within the circle of braziers, beside the altar, lay the body of our cow, Népí, minus her head, shoulders, and forelegs. I entered the ring of light and set the pail beside the large bulk of dead flesh.

This dishonored Névazhíno. He’d spurned my prayer and this sacrifice, as I knew He would. I shouldn’t have done it, but I was just so worried for Pí‘oro. Was he all right?

I lifted the knife from the altar. Blood dripped down the blade as I squatted, my free hand on Népí’s soft, tan hide.

If I didn’t dispose of her body before Sétıpímo returned, I had no chance of disguising this room’s purpose. I had to hurry.

The knife slid into the skin handle-deep, between two ribs. I tugged it downward, slicing the flesh in fits and starts.

“Névazhíno, give me strength.”

But I knew He wouldn’t listen. He would never listen to me again. I had wasted one His precious creatures. I had taken a life without purpose.

No comments: