Friday, March 10, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.3.5 - Séara


Míkoízo opened his eyes and blinked at me. “Séara, are they okay?”

I heard more people behind me, but didn’t spare them a glance.
Bhanar could handle them for me. “No one on the ground was hurt.” I paused, looked down at the unconscious copilot. “Sémıtagaré is hurt. I think his neck might be broken. He’s alive though.”

Míkoízo coughed, covering his mouth with a bloody hand. “And the others?”

He was delusional. Not listening. Not thinking straight. I needed to get him upright, out of that harness. I put a foot on the window frame to brace myself. Little bits of glass broke loose around my boot. I reached up and placed my hands on Míkoízo’s shoulders, supporting him somewhat.

“Unbuckle your harness.”

He nodded, his eyes glazed. “Right.” Apparently neither of his arms were broken, because he grabbed the seat with one hand and his harness buckle with the other. Like a seatbelt, but with two crossing shoulder straps. He unclipped it and one shoulder strap fell down at me, just missing my head, but Míkoízo didn’t budge. A second buckle. He braced himself with a foot on the dashboard and unclipped the buckle.

He tumbled down on top of me, pushing me into the copilot’s knees. Glass shattered. The helicopter shook. Míkoízo landed with a thud on the sand. Shards of window tinkled around me as I stood up.


Míkoízo lay sprawled in a heap right at the feet of Irézí Sıvíhí of the Channel Six News.

No comments: