Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.5.2 - Fírí


I paused, my gaze drawn to my shoe and sock atop the police cruiser. I had an idea. I grabbed the sock and looped it around my foot, under my heel, and tied the ends together. I stood and smiled. Padding for my hurting heel. It didn’t fall off as I walked to the garage.

The top box was a long one, probably with five or eight rifles in it. Bending my knees a little, I lifted it up to my shoulder with a grunt. The guns rattled and clanked against each other. I hoped none of them were loaded. I might just shoot myself.

This box was lighter than the first one. I hauled it to the pickup without too much pain and slid it in right behind the cab.

Three more boxes of rifles later, though, my arms and legs didn’t think it was easy anymore. The sock had worn thin so the gravel bit me just as sharp as ever. Night was falling and it seemed like the last two small boxes would take me till sunrise. I pushed against one with my good foot. They were heavy––ammunition, explosives, handguns. But mostly ammunition. Gogzhuè was preparing for war, it seemed. But against who? How many people would he kill once he got these guns? Then again, how many people would he kill if he didn’t get these guns?

His goons would hunt Zhíno down. His goons would hunt me down, no matter if I fled to Zhuphío or beyond. I didn’t need to worry about the cops. If I didn’t get these guns to Gogzhuè, I was a dead woman. He’d probably kill me for being a day late, but I had to pray he was in a good mood.

No comments: