Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.6.2 - Fírí


I sighed and dropped to one knee beside the two heavy boxes. It was getting kind of dark in the garage, but I still had plenty of light for what I was doing.

What was I doing?

“Surviving,” I muttered and heaved a box up onto my knee. It wobbled and I held it steady, preparing for my next move.

I really needed to get to a gym. I knew some girls back home who wouldn’t have even thought twice about this weight. Pé‘í, for one. But exercise was just too much work. And for what?

For lifting heavy boxes.

With a groan, I lifted the ammo box up onto my shoulder. Now for the hard part––standing up. Ready, one, two, up! My jello legs squealed from pain, overuse, weakness, and stubbornness, but I got to my feet.

I hurried across the garage and driveway, ignoring my left heel’s complaints, and dropped the box into the back of Bhanar’s truck. I leaned heavily on the vehicle, panting. These boxes stood out horribly in among Bhanar’s stuff. Nobody would be fooled. The boxes probably wouldn’t even stay on the truck if he took a corner. Except they were so damn heavy. I shoved the ammo box in better and wobbled back to the garage.

The boxes might stand out, but I didn’t have any other options. They had to be where the cops couldn’t look.

No comments: