Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.5.3 - Séara


“Míkoízo, what are you doing?”

He put his knee up on the side of Sharıgo’s seat. “The others.” And he pulled himself between the two sideways seats.

What others? Others in the helicopter? Why hadn’t he mentioned them before?

Míkoízo disappeared into the back of the helicopter just as someone flicked on a bright light. It suddenly seemed very dark out. I glanced toward the glare and saw Irézí Sıvíhí’s outline, her back to me. Her cameraman, of course. We were going to be on the news. Death and destruction with your dinner.

I jumped up into the cockpit. Maybe we’d be able to help the others, unlike poor Sharıgo. I grabbed the seats and pulled myself between them, kicking off the dashboard.

Through the small doorway, I saw movement. I crawled forward and stuck my head through. Just Míkoízo moved, standing up slowly, his back to me.

Standing up from beside a prone body. Her forehead glistened in the dim light, blood oozing from a giant wound. Deputy Sérıgí Sívıposoma.

“Is she. . .” My throat caught. Anyone but Sérıgí. Why’d it have to be her?

Míkoízo twisted to look at me over his shoulder. He shook his head. Sérıgí was dead. If I had just known she was back here, I could’ve helped he. I could’ve saved her. “Why didn’t you tell me she was back here?” I breathed hard, glaring at Míkoízo. “You let her die!”

No comments: