Friday, March 03, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.2.1 - Irézí


Over the sound of the blood rushing past my ears and my heavy breaths, I heard a helicopter up ahead. I was too late! I sped up, despite the agony of my legs.

“Nıléké, hurry!”

My cameraman chugged along behind me, wheezing louder than the helicopter chopped the air. I hoped the microphone wouldn’t pick up his disgusting sound once we started filming. If I tried reporting this scoop and all they heard was heavy breathing, I’d be a laughingstock.

The deep chopping of the helicopter kept growing louder as I ran. But I still couldn’t see a gully anywhere. Had I already passed it? I must’ve already passed it. Or else the helicopter wouldn’t still be coming towards me.

Was it still coming towards me? I couldn’t tell anymore. Maybe it had stopped. Maybe the gully was still ahead. I tried to run faster, but didn’t have any more power. My legs fought me every step of that shifty, ruddy sand. My heart threatened to burst my ribcage. Up a slight hill. I couldn’t make it. I had to make it. My story––my career––wasn’t going to wait for me.

The helicopter sound dropped a pitch, went off-kilter. I lifted my gaze from the sand and saw over the crest. The helicopter, smoke trailing, lurched sideways, down out of sight. And crashed with tearing metal and pieces flying high, back into view.

No comments: