Friday, March 17, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 6.5.5 - Irézí


In my earpiece, I heard my own voice describing the awful scene. I sounded scared, out of breath, out of my depth, unsure of myself, and nasal.

Míro’s voice cut over. “Back to live in two.”

I smiled heartfelt sorrow. “So as you can see, this has been a tragic day for our men and women in uniform. Truly a tragic day for us all.”

Behind Nıléké and the camera’s light, someone stepped towards us, dark in the shadows.

Taíséma’s voice screeched in my ear. “Truly it has been, yes.”
The man behind Nıléké wore all black––another cop. Where had he come from?

Taíséma asked, “Have you seen any sign of the fugitive cop-killer, Zhíno Zhudıro, yet?”

I smiled condescendingly without trying. “You must remember, Taíséma, that Zhudıro has not yet been tried in a court of law. He is merely a wanted suspect, not a certified cop-killer.” “But he’s. . .” she blustered, “he’s the only suspect they have and even his own girlfriend says he did it.”

Hell, his girlfriend probably was lying. Who knew her motives? I tilted my head and smiled in admonishment. “Innocent until proven guilty, my dear.”

“But have you seen him?” she spat.

I returned to smile two. “Unfortunately, no. The suspect disappeared from the crash site before I arrived.”

“But he was in custody at that time?”

No comments: